We are fast approaching an era of virtual reality – welcome to the metaverse.
Right now, millions are already spending most of their days in the metaverse, living their lives through a virtual avatar. According to Mark Zuckerberg, who recently re-branded Facebook to Meta, we will all live in a virtual world in 5-10 years. Bonkers, right?
We’re approaching an era where VR headsets will be in every home and we will express ourselves through our own, customized avatars! So – what is the metaverse?
This word has quickly become one of the hottest topics on the planet. Facebook and Microsoft, amongst countless other tech companies, have committed to the metaverse and big brands are scrambling to find their place in the virtual world.
The metaverse consists of an immersive virtual reality, where you can live inside a virtual world – much like you live in the physical world. In the metaverse, you can own virtual land, socialize, thrive, make real money, go shopping, enjoy live events – it’s completely immersive.
Virtual worlds are becoming increasingly realistic and a true metaverse experience will not just engage our mind and body, but our senses. What is more, a metaverse allows you to accumulate digital assets, which can be monetized. This ability to earn a living in the metaverse will only grow more sophisticated as the tech advances. We’ll soon be working 9-5 jobs in the metaverse, just as we do in real life – plans are already underway for this to happen!
We have all this to look forward to soon, but for now, let’s see what metaverse experiences you can have at this moment in time. What virtual worlds exist now and why are so many people investing time in them? Are digital worlds more appealing than the real world? Is it time to join the metaverse?
Let’s see what our three best options are at present…
3 ways to get into the metaverse
We’ve selected our top three current virtual worlds that you can explore. These three worlds all thrive on blockchain technology, Ethereum to be specific, and they provide a metaverse today for you to jump right into and immerse yourself.
Note: these platforms can all be enjoyed with a VR headset and this will significantly improve your experience in the virtual realm.
Develop lands, estates, districts, and plazas in this immersive digital world. Customize your avatar using the in-game editor, or transfer avatars from other platforms into Decentraland. Create your own content and attempt to thrive in this interactive digital space. The game thrives on user-generated content and if you create something valuable which could benefit others in the environment, you may be able to monetize your content on a secondary market as NFTs (digital assets). Auction house Sotheby’s has opened a virtual gallery inside Decentraland, based on their London gallery. This is one of several high-profile examples of brands entering Decentraland.
How to get into Decentraland (step by step guide):
Remember: VR headsets are essential buys for a true metaverse experience.
- Go to the Decentraland website
- Click “start exploring” in the top right-hand corner
- You can play as a guest or play using a wallet
- To play using a wallet, connect your wallet (Metamask, Wallet Connect, Formatic Wallet)
- Once connected, the game starts to load
- If you just want to explore without a wallet, you can immediately be transported to Decentraland without any sign-in!
Another immersive experience awaits you in The Sandbox. Many aspects of The Sandbox metaverse are shared with Decentraland. There is a native currency, there are plots of land, you create avatars, digital assets and in The Sandbox experience, you can also create games.
All of this can be traded and sold on The Sandbox market. Gucci bought a plot of land and is currently expanding Gucci Vault, its online concept store, in The Sandbox. Snoop Dog famously built his own ‘Snoopverse’ in The Sandbox and is already thriving in the metaverse!
How to get into The Sandbox:
- Visit The Sandbox Metaverse website
- Click on the “sign-in” button at the top right-hand corner
- Connect your Metamask account
- Enter your email, user ID, and password
- Click “create” on the left pane
- Download the game maker and install it on your PC
- Open the application, sign in with your credentials
Last, but not least, is the Pokemon metaverse! Axie Infinity has taken the world by storm and is especially popular in the Philippines, owing to its play-to-earn potential. Axie Infinity has risen in value astronomically since its birth. In the game, you collect, breed, raise, battle, and trade creatures known as Axies. These avatars are minted as NFTs and last month Axie Infinity became the first NFT series to exceed $4 billion in sales. This Axie universe has a truly player-owned economy where players can earn cash through skilled gameplay and contributions to the ecosystem.
How to get into Axie Infinity:
- Head to axieinfinity.com and click on “Getting Started”
- Create your Ronin wallet (through Metamask) and add it as an extension for your browser or mobile device
- Buy your first Axies and set your team up – you’ll use them throughout the game in Adventure and Arena mode.
- Go to the Axie Infinity “Marketplace” in the top left
- Welcome to the auctions arena. Here you’ll see all of the Axies currently up for sale
- Study the basics of each creature and when you’re ready – buy your Axie!
- Download and play! Now you’re ready to start your Axie experience
Let’s have some fun?
Now that you know how to get into three different metaverse platforms, it’s time for you to explore. The metaverse is a place where creators truly thrive and the whole experience is still in its infancy. Get ahead of the curve and start learning about the metaverse and choose the experience which appeals to your creative instincts the most. Remember, game developers are still working on improving these immersive experiences – so what you see now is really just the beginning. Enjoy exploring and remember – we’re in a new era of Web3, much like when the internet first began (Web2) – so, let’s have some fun with it.