Build the game that you feel should be the sensation in our next Alpha Season!
Have you enjoyed playing the experiences that made our first Alpha? Now is your turn to be in the creator’s chair!
How can we prolong the elation of playing amazing experiences now that the Alpha has closed? By having a Game Jam of course!
This is your chance to create a new experience that could be featured in the Alpha Season 2! You read that right, we reserve the right to select a few of these experiences and feature them in The Sandbox Alpha Season 2. Take part in creating The Sandbox Metaverse.
The Alpha Season 2 Game Jam
Using The Sandbox’s Game Maker software, you will need to create the experience of your choice. There is no limit! Create whatever experience you feel would fit perfectly in a Sandbox Alpha Season.
The prize pool consists of a total of 50,000 $SAND split the following ways.
- 1st place: 20,000 $SAND.
- 2nd place: 15,000 $SAND.
- 3rd place: 8,000 $SAND.
- 4th to 10th place: 1,000 $SAND each.
The Important Dates
- The Game Jam begins on January 5th, 2022.
- The deadline to complete and submit your entry is the 18th January 2022, at 11:59pm UTC.
- The voting will take place between the 19th and 25th January 2022.
- The results will be announced on the 29th January 2022.
Quality above everything else here, let’s create the next sensation that will shake the Metaverse. Please keep these rules in mind when creating. Failure to do so may result in your entry being invalidated.
- Your entry must be designed in the Game Maker software.
- Your entry must only include assets that you own. You are free to use all the “basic” assets in the Marketplace, but any other asset in your experience must be your own.
- Your entry must have some playability (quests, missions you name it).
- Your entry must be unique and not a direct copy of any existing experiences. (similarities are fine, exact copies are not!)
- Spamming the gallery with a number of low quality experiences just to try and fit into the 4th-10th places may result in all your entries being disqualified.
- Not completing the submission steps correctly (see below) may result in your entry being ineligible.
- The judging will be done by The Sandbox’s staff.
Submitting Your Entry
We will be using the Game Maker “Gallery” feature as a form for submissions. You MUST upload your game to the gallery following the GIF tutorial below and using the title: “Alpha Season 2 GAME JAM — Game Title”
You MUST also submit your game to the following form link
WARNING! If you submit your entry to the Game Jam gallery but do not submit it to the form linked above (or vice versa), your entry will not be eligible!
Slow down — check everything! Take the time to submit a qualitative experience, rather than rushing and submitting a half-finished experience.
Game Jam FAQ
Who can join the Game Jam?
Anyone who is eligible to create an account at The Sandbox can enter the Game Jam.
Are teams or studios allowed?
Yes. You are welcome to work independently or as a team/studio.
Can we use custom ASSETs in our Game Jam entries?
Yes. You can use the VoxEdit software to design your own ASSETs to use in your Game Jam entry. If you have not done so already, you will need to fill out this form to be able to submit your custom ASSETs for approval: https://forms.gle/D5HHnHFRS9p3LNpq7.
Please note that the time it takes for your ASSET submissions to be approved depends on several factors, such as The Sandbox team member’s timezones, weekends, public holidays, and workloads. Please bear these factors in mind and make sure you submit your ASSETs at your earliest convenience. Then be patient.
Where can I get the Game Maker and/or VoxEdit from?
Here are the official links:
Where can I find guides for the Game Maker and VoxEdit software?
Check out the tutorials page on The Sandbox’s official knowledge base here: https://sandboxgame.gitbook.io/the-sandbox/other/tutorials.
You can also join our Discord community, where creators often share tips with each other and post their own tutorials. You can also share your entry with the community for feedback, if you wish. The Discord community link is: https://discord.com/invite/cgCFFjj.
Do you have what it takes to create an experience worthy of the Sandbox Alpha Season? Submit your entry and find out!